Clinch — A Martial Arts Literary Magazine
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
General Submission Guidelines:
Submissions for Issue 3 will open on January 1st, 2023. Please skim our sample readings and editor preferences (on sidebar and below, respectively) to see what we prefer. Also, consider these general guidelines:
- Submissions do not have to mention the martial arts—though we prefer those that do. Instead, all submissions must share in the virtues of martial arts, those of patience, meditation, and surprise, whether that be in their technique or in their content.
- We consider: fiction and creative nonfiction (up to 5,000 words; novel and memoir excerpts are acceptable as long as they may stand on their own.)
Poetry (up to 3 poems, no longer than 10 total pages; please submit as one document)
- All submissions must be previously unpublished. We do not consider personal postings, e.g. those on an author’s website or social media, as being published; feel free to submit those.
- We reserve First Electronic Rights to any piece we accept and publish. All other rights remain with the writer. If a piece we publish is reprinted elsewhere, we ask the writer acknowledges Clinch as its first venue of publication.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions. If a fiction/creative nonfiction piece is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw it. If one poem (of many submitted) is accepted elsewhere, please make note of that via Submittable.